Be Joyful in Hope…
As many of you know I took tests in late March that indicated the stomach tumor had shrunk significantly in size and that there were no signs of cancer anywhere else. In light of those results, I completed 16 weeks of chemotherapy on May 17 and am presently on a reprieve from treatments. Also, on Tuesday, June 12, I took another PET/CAT scan. Those test results indicated there was no “definite evidence” of cancer in my abdomen & pelvis and all other organs were clear. I asked my doctor if that meant I was in remission. His response was “radiological remission”. He clarified this statement by saying that technically speaking, there could be some cancer cells in my body, but those particular tests were not detecting them. Also, because of some increased “metabolic activity” along the rectal wall, he advised me to follow-up with my surgeon oncologist.
…Patient in Affliction
So, I saw my surgeon on June 20. After reviewing the test results, he felt an endoscope (scope of the stomach) would provide a clearer picture of the condition of the stomach. The endoscope, which included a biopsy, was done on June 25. The results from that biopsy showed that, indeed, there are still some cancer cells present. So what now? Well, the plan right now is to do another 3 week series of chemotherapy and then another PET/CAT scan before the end of August. Then, after Labor Day, I will meet with my surgeon to discuss whether I should have stomach surgery.
…Faithful in Prayer
So, I am humbly asking you for your continued prayers to God on my behalf. Please pray that I would continue to look at my situation from an eternal perspective. The Bible says that we should “Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.” (James 1:2-4 NASV). Well, I have to admit it is challenging to keep my hopes up and be joyful when test results seem to contradict each other. But, as I’ve said before, though I would hope to be relieved completely of this disease, and I know that God could choose to do that in an instant, He has chosen otherwise for now. Please offer Him thanksgiving for His mercy and grace as He has chosen to allow me a break from my chemotherapy. I have been feeling really good during this time. My hair has even started to grow back now and I am going without a wig! Also, pray that I would be able to tolerate the next series of chemotherapy as well as I did before. Pray also that God would guide me as I consider another surgery.
I would also ask that you keep my husband and children in your prayers, as well. They have been able, by God’s grace and strength, to deal remarkably well with the fact that I have cancer. However, I know that this is just as much as a challenge for each of them as it is for me. And they each have their own issues to deal with:
1. Robert is trying to balance his time between his pastoral duties and helping to take care of the practical and emotional needs of the family.
2. My oldest son, Joshua and his wife, Jamie, are preparing for the birth of their first son (our first grandchild) in September.
3. My oldest daughter, Noemi, is trying to get a permanent, full-time position at the library where she is presently working. She is also dealing with symptoms of an abnormally functioning thyroid.
4. Caleb is leaving today (July 14) for the Ukraine and will be gone initially for a month. Shortly upon his return, he plans to leave for missionary training school in Montana for 4 months to prepare for an 18-month term back in the Ukraine.
5. Kalani, who just graduated from high school, is looking for a full-time job.
6. Micah continues to develop his musical skills and wants to learn the violin next.
7. Alina is doing school work during the summer since she wasn’t able to complete all of it during the school year due to my illness. She is also having some tests done to rule out any kidney problems. Please pray that those tests will be negative.
Again, thanks to all of you for your love and concern and your faithfulness in your prayers. Your support during this time has meant a great deal to me and my family. For those of you who I don’t have regular contact with, I would love to hear from you and get an update on what is happening in your life.
Gratefully,
Nina
2 comments:
Nina, I am a friend of Ruth's and met you breifly at Chowchilla Relay. Your blog site is a blessing and encouragement. Ruth is a good friend who remind's us to pray for you. This world and its struggles can be ugly but if God is for you who can be against you? Seek out beauty and hang in there. In Christ's love KIM
Hi Nina
Trust Jesus FULLY and COMPLETELY.
But as I know too, it is easier
said then to actually place into our daily walk. As much as our soul yearns to completely surrender, our minds still have a stronger control at times of seeking other things in life that keeps us not as close to our God as our soul would want. But we have to a keep strong focus in the Word of God to be able to keep our mind and soul in balance with our Lord Jesus.
My prayer for you is for God to
show you more of Him to guide you and give you strength to overcome
the mind that struggles and to push forward the power of the holy spirit within you to heal you completely with peace/comfort from Our Father in Heaven, Our Lord Jesus Christ.
Love You,
Sylvia Rubio
p.s. call me when you get a chance.
Post a Comment